- 31,984 have been killed by whaling since the IWC moratorium
- Japan has killed 8,201 minke whales in the Antarctic for “scientific purposes” since the moratorium in 1986
- In 2006/07 Iceland took 60 minke whales under special permit for "scientific whaling"
- Norway broke the moratorium in 1993 and resumed commercial whaling. Since then they have taken over 6,879 minke whales under objection
- It is still not known if some species will ever recover, even after decades of protection.
I have chosen to use the first quote, as it is talking about whaling in general and not one specific country, also I feel it's quite hard hitting.