I'm Melissa Riley. I'm in my first year at Arts University College Bournemouth studying for a BA Hons in Illustration.
This blog is a mix of my own work, along with the work of others that inspires me or just things I like.

Thursday 6 May 2010

Facts And Figures

For my informative piece I plan to make some kind of campaign poster. So I've been looking at some facts about whaling.

- 31,984 have been killed by whaling since the IWC moratorium
- Japan has killed 8,201 minke whales in the Antarctic for “scientific purposes” since the moratorium in 1986
- In 2006/07 Iceland took 60 minke whales under special permit for "scientific whaling"
- Norway broke the moratorium in 1993 and resumed commercial whaling. Since then they have taken over 6,879 minke whales under objection
- It is still not known if some species will ever recover, even after decades of protection.

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/oceans/whaling/


I have chosen to use the first quote, as it is talking about whaling in general and not one specific country, also I feel it's quite hard hitting.



No comments:

Post a Comment